Re: Re(4): [67ATTENDEES] IETF 67 Network goes down at 12:00

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 06:14:41PM -0500, Peter Lovell wrote:

> >On Nov 13, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Peter Lovell wrote:
> >
> >	Alas, this seems to have been a short-lived win. Indeed all the Core
> >Duo MacBooks and MacBook Pros have an Atheros A/B/G card, but the OS
> >doesn't support selecting A over B/G, unless you have A only (or B/G
> >only) SSIDs. This is why we had the ietf67a and ietf67b SSIDs for the
> >specific technologies.
> >
> >	Unfortunately, with the release of the new Core 2 Duo based units,
> >Apple switched from A/B/G to B/G/pre-N. This makes sense, since that
> >keeps all their technologies at 2.4G (one antenna), and fits with
> >Steve's clearly stated belief that 802.11a isn't relevant. The bummer
> >is that 802.11a is much more suited to high density, high demand/
> >performance "enterprise" networks like the IETF.
>
> That's exactly what I do have. And thanks to the excellent instructions
> I did select "a", as (this being new) I wouldn't have recognized the
> difference otherwise.

I have an older Mac and a newer Thinkpad.  The Thinkpad supports a/b/g,
and while the interface for media selection is rather clunky, it does
work very well.

Is there any feeling for what IETF events will support in the future?
I hope the 11a/b/g support continues, and you don't listen to Jobs :)

--
Tim